If you have oily hair, there may be many days when you feel as though you have to shampoo your hair in the morning and then again in the afternoon just to keep it looking clean and fresh. Oily hair can present a challenge, and an even greater dilemma is when your hair is oily and your scalp is dry. Here are a few suggestions from the stylists at our hair salon in Tallahassee for maintaining the beauty of your hair.
• If you have oily hair, you can help your hair by choosing products carefully and by avoiding those that contain oil, lanolin, or silicone. Also avoid two-in-one type products as these can be very heavy and can sometimes cause your hair to produce even more oil.
• Shampoo your hair daily with a mild, pH-balanced shampoo. Baby shampoos are great. Shampoos that say they are formulated for oily hair can actually make the problem worse. They can also be damaging to your hair and can be too harsh for every day use. Use a gentle cleansing shampoo instead.
• Use conditioner only on the lower portion of your hair and avoid it near the scalp and roots of your hair. Always rinse thoroughly to remove excess product.
• Drink lots and lots of water. Water contributes not only to healthy hair, but to healthy skin as well. A good balanced diet can also make a difference.
• Use a natural bristle brush such as boar’s hair to brush your hair. A natural bristle brush will help soak up extra oil from oily hair and redistribute it along the dry lengths to better condition the bottom of your hair and increase shine.